This Anko Butter Grilled Cheese made with sweet red bean paste and melty vegan cheese will blow your mind! It’s the perfect sandwich for when you’re craving something sweet and savory!
How to Make Sweet & Savory Grilled Cheese
- Red bean paste (Anko): I like to use koshian, which is the smooth paste version of anko. However, you can also use tsubuan for a bit more texture or even ogura-an!
- Vegan cheese: I use my homemade melty mozzarella cheese but use your favourite recipe or brand.
- Bread: For this grilled cheese, I love using shokupan (thick Japanese-style bread) because it pairs really well with the anko but again, feel free to use your favourite kind of bread.
- Vegan butter: or margarine.
- Spread vegan butter on two slices of bread. Spread red bean paste and then place desired amount of cheese on top. Place the other piece of bread on top. Spread more butter on the piece of bread on top on the outside.
- Heat a pan over low and add in 2 tsp of vegan butter. Once melted, place the sandwich in and cover. Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Increase the heat and then let it cook for another 30 seconds or until toasted to your liking.
- Reduce the heat back to low and then flip the sandwich. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium low and cook for another 30 seconds or until toasted to your liking. Remove from pan and enjoy HOT! 🙂
Tips for making vegan grilled cheese
- LOW N’ SLOW: I find vegan cheeses to take a little longer to melt so I highly recommend melting it a bit prior to adding it to the sandwich OR going really low with the heat and slowly melting it first. Once you notice the cheese begin to melt, increase the temperature to get the outside nice and toasty to your liking.
- Type of vegan cheese: I typically like to go with mozzerella but chedder cheese actually is pretty yummy too!
- Butter one side of the sandwich: This is so that when you flip it, you don’t need to add butter to the pan again since the side flipped has butter on it already.
More Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwiches to Try:
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Sweet Red Bean Paste Grilled Cheese recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!