A traditional Chinese / Lunar New Year dish and a comfort food I grew up eating at my grandmothers.
Not only are stir fried rice cakes soft, chewy and absolutely delicious to eat, but they also symbolize good luck and good fortune.
It’s real easy to make and packed with lots of veggies, so perfect for a quick weeknight meal too!!
SAVE IT FOR LATER! ↓
If you recreate this Stir-fried Rice Cakes recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp chinese black vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil, optional
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch of black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cooking oil
- 8 oz (225 g) flat rice cakes
- 3–4 (24 g) large dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated
- 2 (6 g) garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 g) minced ginger
- 2 (30 g) scallions, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 4 oz extra firm tofu, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups (150 g) baby bok choy
- 1/4 (60 g) red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (70 g) sugar snap peas
- Whisk together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a non-stick pan over medium. Add the garlic, ginger, white part of the scallions and mushrooms, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Increase to high heat, add tofu slices and stir fry 30 seconds. Add the bell pepper, sugar snap peas and bok choy, and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the rice cakes on top of the vegetables and then pour in reserved shiitake water. Cover and let it steam for about 2-3 minutes, or until rice cakes are 90% cooked.
- Remove the cover and add the sauce. Stir fry everything over high heat heat until sauce is thickened and rice cakes are fully cooked. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve immediently and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment: bowl with spout (for the sauce)
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!