Japanese sweet potatoes simmered with lemon. A simple yet light, sweet and delicious side dish or snack to enjoy while they're in season!
If you recreate this Simmered Sweet Potatoes with Lemon recipe let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below or by tagging me on Instagram @Okonomikitchen, I love seeing all of your tasty recreations!
Hungry for more? Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Youtube and Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Simmered Lemon Sweet Potatoes (さつまいものレモン煮)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 1 (300g) Japanese sweet potat
- 3 tbsp (36g) cane sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp (22ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Wash the sweet potato and then slice into 1 cm width rounds. Place in a bowl with water and soak for 5 minutes. Drain water.
- Place the potatoes in a pan making sure not to overlap them. Add water, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Cover with a otoshibuta. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until you can pierce a toothpick through.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Serve and enjoy!
- Helpful Equipment: yukihira pan, otoshibuta (droplid)
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: Japanese sweet potatoes, simmered potatoes
Okonomi Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. When you purchase something through my amazon affiliate links, I earn a small commission that helps me produce consistent content at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting my plant based kitchen!
Another simple recipe that’s easy and delicious! I made this tonight and it was a perfect side dish. I put about 1/2 tsp of salt since I didn’t see a note about how much.
These sweet potatoes were delicious and pretty simple to make. My 16-year-old (who can be a picky eater) said they were the most delicious sweet potatoes he has had! They made the perfect side dish alongside crispy tofu and roasted broccoli.