Pumpkin Bread with Streusel & Miso Brown Butter Glaze
My favourite Pumpkin Bread recipe: incredibly soft and moist, with almost like a melt-in-you-mouth texture. It's also perfectly (heavily!) spiced and topped with a crunchy streusel and nutty miso brown butter glaze. Easy to make without a mixer!
- Author: Lisa Kitahara
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2.5 tbsp (32 g) brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp (20 g) cane sugar
- 3 tbsp (21 g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup (34 g) all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (42 g) cold butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin (I use ed smith 100% pure pumpkin)
- 2 large eggs (100 g) or 2 flax eggs
- 1/2 cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115 g) neutral oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rum or vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (150 g) cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (187 g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (42 g) almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp slightly heaped Chinese Five Spice Powder OR 1/4 tsp clove + 1/8 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
Miso butter glaze
- 2 tbsp butter (I use dairy free butter + 1/2 tsp almond flour)
- 1 tsp (6 g) white miso paste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) milk (I use soy milk)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until crumbly, and then refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Keep the short side un-lined.
- Sift the dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and and mix with a spatula using a scoop and fold method, just until there are no streaks of flour.
- Pour into prepared pan and use the back of the spatula to spread evenly. Tap the loaf pan on the counter twice.
- Cover the loaf with the streusel topping.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Reduce temp to 325 F and bake for another 55-70 minutes. Please adjust the baking time according to your oven. If you have a temperature thermometer, insert it into the middle of the loaf and check to see if it reaches 200-210 F. If its below this temperature, continue to bake in 5-10 minute increments until it does. In the meantime, make the glaze (see below).
- Once fully baked, run a offset spatula or knife on the side that is not lined. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Then lift the loaf out of the pan and place on a wire rack. Drizzle the loaf with the glaze while still warm. Serve and enjoy!!
Miso Brown Butter Glaze
- Add butter (and almond flour if using non-dairy butter) to a pan over medium heat. Swirl the pan as it melts. Stir frequently until it begins to smell nutty and begin seeing brown specs.
- Transfer to another bowl and whisk in the miso. Taste and adjust as needed depending on the type of miso used. Add the powder sugar, vanilla and milk and whisk until smooth. Add more milk in 1/2 tsp increments as needed.
Keywords: pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, miso glaze, pumpkin spice