This Miso Roasted Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is an elevated take on the classic broccoli cheddar soup that begins by roasting the broccoli in a miso sauce for more flavour and then served with cheese chili crisp croutons. It's creamy, cheesy and comes together under 1 hour. Vegan + gluten free options.
Miso Roasted Vegetables
- 1 large head (425-450 g) broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup (120-150 g) baby carrots or 2 medium carrots, chopped (120-150 g)
- 1 medium (78 g) yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp (36 g) white miso paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups dairy free half and half or canned coconut milk
- 2 cups vegan cheese or 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- chili crisp croutons, for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Whisk together the miso paste and water. Whisk in the maple syrup, rice vinegar, oil. Toss broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Add the butter to a pot and cook the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly or until it becomes golden in colour.
- Slowly pour in the broth, stirring as you pour. Add 2/3 of the vegetables back to the pot along with the paprika, salt and pepper. Note: I add in all the carrots and onions and reserve the broccoli just for a nicer colour and texture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in half and half. Use an immersion blender and blend to desired consistency.
- Melt in the cheese. Stir in soy sauce. Add remaining roasted vegetables. Gently simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with chili crisp croutons and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove top
Keywords: broccoli cheese coup, miso roasted broccoli, croutons