Crispy, fluffy and chewy focaccia bread topped with mushrooms, scallions and garlic. Brushed generously with miso garlic butter... a slice of heaven. This no knead small batch focaccia is a must try!
- 324g bread flour
- 5g instant yeast
- 6g salt
- 285ml water
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2-3 oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 6-8 cloves of sliced of roasted garlic (I used my miso braised garlic)
Miso Garlic Butter
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (60g)
- 2 tbsp miso paste (40g)
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (20ml)
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced (25g)
- Flaky salt, optional
- Night before: In a large bowl, add flour, salt and instant yeast and whisk together. Then pour in the water and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until a wet and sticky shaggy dough ball forms. A wet dough will result in a fluffier focaccia. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil on top and rub the surface to coat. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp tea towel and then place into the refrigerator overnight (12-15 hours).
- Following day: The dough should still be wet and increased in size. Grease or line a 11 x 8 inch pan. Add one tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Rub some olive oil onto your fingers and then pull the sides of the dough towards the middle, rotating the bowl until all sides are pulled in. Transfer to prepared baking pan and flip it once to ensure the entire ball of dough is coated in olive oil. Let the dough rest for at least 2 1/2 - 4 hours or until the dough has spread close to the edges of the pan (it should look double in size).
- In the meantime, make the miso garlic butter. Add butter to a pan over medium high heat. Once belted, add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Turn off and remove from heat and strain the butter to separate the garlic. Whisk in the miso paste and maple syrup. Taste and adjust amount of miso paste and maple syrup to desired taste.
- Slice the oyster mushrooms 2mm (1/8 inch) thick. Slice scallions 2 inch in length.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Drizzle one tbsp of oil on the dough and lightly coat fingers in oil again. Dimple the dough using your fingers by pressing them close to the bottom of the pan (but not all the way through). Allow the bubbles to form (don’t pop them!).
- (Optional: Sprinkle flakey salt on top (not too much because the butter is salted)). Place desired amount of sliced mushrooms on the dough. Press scallions into the dough between oyster mushrooms. If using braised miso garlic, spread and press those in as well. Drizzle with one more tablespoon of oil on top.
- Place into middle rack of your oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until surface is crisp and deep golden. Transfer the focaccia to a cooling rack. Generously brush the miso garlic butter on top. Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- *prep time does not include resting time
- Helpful Equipment: spatula, mixing bowls, whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: focaccia, bread