- 2/3 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1–2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced (optional)
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp gochugaru
- 1 tbsp togarashi*
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- Add all the ingredients into a heat proof bowl (large enough to fit 1 1/2 cups) except for the miso paste and sesame oil.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350ºF.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the hot oil into the bowl with the spices– the oil will sizzle a lot at first. Let the oil reach room temperature and then stir in the miso paste and sesame oil.
- Store in a sterilized jar and keep refrigerated for up to 2-3 weeks.
- *If you do not have access to togarashi (Japanese spice mixture) you can substitute with an extra tablespoon of gochugaru.