- 1/3 daikon radish, peeled (225-275g net weight)
- 1 tsp kombu dashi powder (5g // can substitute for mushroom stock powder)
- 1 tbsp sake, optional (15ml)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (15g)
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce (7ml // tamari for guten free)
- 1 tbsp mirin (15ml)
- 1 tsp cane sugar (4g)
- 1 tbsp white miso paste (20g // gluten free miso paste as needed)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (4g)
- scallions for garnishing
- Peel and then slice daikon into 4 cm thick rounds. Score the daikon steaks on both sides. Place the daikon into a microwave safe dish and then drizzle sake on top. Rub kombu dashi powder on both sides and then cover with a lid. Microwave both sides for 2 minutes each at 600W or until daikon is mostly cooked (it will look more translucent). Be sure not to overcook.
- In the meantime, add the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, miso and garlic in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Over high heat, add the vegan butter. Once melted, add the daikon to the pan and lightly season both sides with salt and pepper. Pan fry the daikon until you get some charring on both sides (about 1 minute on each side). Reduce heat to medium to medium low. Add the sauce mixture and let the daikon simmer in the sauce for about 30 seconds. Flip the daikon and let the other side cook in the sauce until the sauce has reduced significantly.
- Remove from heat, serve on a plate and drizzle with remaining sauce. Garnish with scallions and enjoy!
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 1440mg
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: daikon steak, vegan steak, vegetarian steak