- 120-135g warm milk
- 16g sugar
- 3g instant yeast
- 10g grapeseed oil
- 200g all purpose flour
- 9g corn starch
- 2g baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 oz five spice tofu (112g // or smoked tofu)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (180g)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (70g)
- 1/4 cup wood ear mushrooms (34g)
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (23g)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- To a bowl, add the water, sugar and yeast and stir. Let it rest for 10 minutes and then add in the oil.
- In the meantime, add the add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to the stand mix bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Start on low speed and then increase to medium speed and let it mix until the dough comes together (about 3-4 minutes). The dough should be soft but not too sticky.
- Take dough out, knead a few times until the dough is smooth and shape into a ball. Place back into the bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel and keep it in a warm area until doubled in size (about 1 - 1.5 hours).
- While the buns are proofing, make the filling. Shred the cabbage and then cook over the stove until softened or microwave covered for 1 minute. Squeeze all the excess liquid out. Finely chop the shiitake mushroom, tofu and wood ear mushrooms. Remove excess liquid if there is any and then toss everything together. Add the seasoning ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Once dough risen, punch it down, knead to get rid of air bubbles (about 5 mins). Cover with the bowl and rest for another 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle, spread the filling and then roll it up. Seal the two ends and then pinch the open seam to seal.
- Place the lazy dragon into a steamer basket lined with steaming paper (or parchment paper with holes in it) and let it rest for another 15 minutes.
- Place over cold water (basket should be 1 ½ inch above the water). Turn the heat to high and then once it begins to boil, bring down the heat to medium and steam for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and rest for 5 minutes WITHOUT removing the cover. Slice and enjoy warm!
- Helpful Equipment: bamboo steaming basket, steaming paper, wooden rolling pin, food processor
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Method: steaming
- Cuisine: vegan, chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: lazy dragon roll, easy bao recipe, fluffy bao