- 200g organic chickpeas
- 960ml filtered water
- appropriate amount of sweetener of choice
- vanilla powder or extract
- Soak the chickpeas for 10-12 hours (I let it soak overnight).
- Save 1/4 cup of soaking water (skimming from the surface) in a clean bowl and cover. Drain and rinse the remaining chickpeas and then add them to a blender. Add 960ml of water to the chickpeas and blend on medium speed. Do not blend until very smooth or it will become difficult to strain (aim for a grain-y consistency).
- Strain the chickpea milk through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much of the milk as possible.
- Add the milk to a large pot and stir (be sure to stir the starch at the bottom that tends to sink when sitting for a period of time). Turn the stove on high heat and once it begins to heat up, reduce to a medium. Stirring continuously, heat the chickpea milk until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. Remove the pot from the burner and continue to stir for 2-4 minutes (this will help cool the mixture). Once the mixture comes to room temperature, transfer it to a clean sterile glass container with a loose lid. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the soaking water with a wooden utensil. Wrap the lid with a kitchen cloth and then cover. Let the yogurt sit at room temperature for 10-12 hours. Place into the fridge to chill for one day.
- Scoop the chickpea yogurt and add to a blender, along with a sweetener of choice and/or vanilla if desired. Blend until smooth. Now the chickpea yogurt is ready to serve and enjoy!
- This is not my original recipe/concept, but one I’ve adapted from other recipes & Priyanka N Jain (see posts for details) as my preferred method.
- Helpful Equipment: glass fermenting jar, wooden spoon, nut milk bag, blender, strainer
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Keywords: chickpea yogurt, dairy free yogurt, one ingredient yogurt