Zaru Soba (Vegan)
Zaru Soba ざるそば — a classic summertime dish in Japan; light and refreshing cold soba noodles served with a savory dipping sauce (tsuyu) and a variety of condiments.
- Author: Lisa Kitahara
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- 2 bundles soba noodles (200g)
- 2 tbsp sake (32ml)
- 1/3 cup mirin (80ml)
- 4 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 x 2 inch piece kombu
- 3 pieces shiitake mushroom, rehydrated (keep soaking liquid)
- 1 tbsp shiitake mushroom soaking water
- 1/2 tsp kombu dashi powder
- Condiments: scallion, daikon, togarashi, sesame, nori, tenkasu, yuzu pepper, japanese pickles, ginger & wasabi
- Over medium high heat, add the sake to a pot and bring to a boil. Allow alcohol to cook off for 20-30 seconds. Add the mirin, soy sauce, shiitake soaking water, kombu dashi granules, kombu and shiitake. Bring to a boil again and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and then refrigerate.
- Cook soba noodles following directions on the package. Drain the noodles, reserving the liquid (save for drinking later). Rinse the soba noodles VERY well with cold water (about 3-5 times). The water should run clear. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare all of your condiments and plate them on the side. Prepare the dipping sauce by combining 3-4 tbsp of the tsuyu and 1/4 cup of ice cold water. Taste and adjust amount of tsuyu to your liking. Plate the soba noodles.
- Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: cold soba noodles, japanese soba noodles