This Yuzu and Soy Sauce Caramel Marble Cake is incredibly flavourful with a moist and tender crumb, all soaked in a rich brown butter glaze.
Soy Sauce Caramel
- 2 tbsp (26 g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hot water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- tbsp (14 g) all purpose flour
Brown Butter Yuzu Glaze (option 1)
- 2.5 tbsp (35 g) butter
- 4 tbsp (36 g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 tbsp dark rum, optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Condensed Milk Yuzu Glaze (option 2)
- 2 tbsp (40 ml) condensed coconut milk
- 1 1/2 (22 ml) tbsp yuzu juice
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp (130 ml) soy milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) yuzu juice*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/3 of a block (65 g) silken soft tofu
- zest of one yuzu
- 1/4 cup (60 g) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) neutral oil
- 1 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp (175 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (28 g) corn starch
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp (150 g) cane sugar
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1.25) g salt
Soy Sauce Caramel
- Add the sugar and water to a small sauce pan. Turn on heat to medium low to medium and let it bubble (do not touch it during this time). Once it becomes amber in colour, turn off the heat and carefully pour in the hot water. It will bubble vigorously (please be careful!!). Whisk in the soy sauce and set aside.
Brown Butter Yuzu Glaze
- Add butter to a small sauce pan over medium low heat and cook until just browned, toasty and nutty. Turn heat to low and whisk in the sugar. Continue to whisk until fully disolved. Pour in the yuzu juice and whisk until it thickens slightly. Turn off the heat and whisk in the rum and vanilla extract.
Condensed Milk Yuzu Glaze
- For the condensed milk yuzu glaze, microwave the condensed milk for 15 seconds or until liquid. Whisk in the yuzu juice.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F (170 C) for convection oven or 350 F (180 C) for regular oven. Line or grease a 7.5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and whisk together.
- Blend together the silken tofu, plant based milk, yuzu juice, melted butter, oil and vanilla. Stir in the yuzu or lemon zest.
- Pour in the wet ingredients and use a spatula to mix with a scrape and fold motion, making sure not to over mix the batter.
- Transfer 1/3 of the batter to the caramel sauce bowl along with the 2 tbsp of flour and whisk together until combined.
- To a prepared loaf tin, add a little less than half the yuzu batter to the loaf pan to coat the bottom. Then scoop 4-5 dollops of batter, alternating from left and right (refer to photos). Fill the empty spaces with the caramel batter. For the third layer, scoop the yuzu batter on top of the caramel batter and then scoop the caramel batter on top of the yuzu batter. Use a chopstick and poke it through all the way down to the bottom of the pan starting from the top left corner. Swirl the dough using a figure-eight motion three full times. Lift to remove the chopstick out and then start from the top right corner and draw an S. Then start from the top left corner and draw a backward S.
- Drop the loaf pan 3 times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 45 minutes, or until fully cooked through.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely. Place it back into the loaf tin and pour the glaze on top, allowing the cake to soak up the glaze.
- Helpful Equipment: Stand mixer, zester, citrius juicer, mixing bowls, whisk, spatula
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: marble cake, yuzu cake