Learn how to make the best Vegan Teriyaki ‘Chicken’ with this authentic recipe prepared using the traditional Japanese cooking method. Made with yuba (bean curd sheets) and homemade teriyaki sauce, this popular Japanese dish is the perfect easy weeknight meal!
- 4 pieces of large frozen yuba sheets*
- 1 tbsp vegan chicken bouillon mixed in 3 cups of warm water
- potato starch, for dusting
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup homemade teriyaki sauce**
- 2 knobs of ginger (2 inches), juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced & juiced
Yuba Chicken Preparation
- Cut the large pieces of yuba into half. Then into quarters. You should be left with 16 triangular pieces.
- One at a time, dip the pieces of yuba into the broth mix until softened.
- Layer a total of 4 yuba pieces together. Take the left side of the triangle and fold toward the middle. Take the right side of the triangle and fold toward the middle. Then take the bottom side and fold upward twice. Use a fork and poke holes in the yuba. Continue to fold upward until you reach the very end (like an envelope). Poke more holes on the outside of the ‘chicken’.
- Bring a pot to a boil. Add the yuba chicken on a plate and steam the yuba chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add a small pinch of salt (and optional pepper) on both sides of the yuba chicken. Dust one side with potato starch (this will be the crispy skin side).
Cooking Teriyaki ‘Chicken’
- Over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of oil (or enough to coat the pan). Cook the yuba ‘skin side’ down until you get nice and crispy.
- Flip it and then cook for a few minutes until you get some nice browning. Add 4 tbsp of teriyaki sauce per ‘chicken’. If adding ginger or garlic, add desired amount of the juices with the sauce. Cook until sauce thickens, spooning the sauce over the chicken frequently.
- Once sauce has thickened, turn off the heat. Cut into bite size pieces, brush a bit more teriyaki sauce if desired.
- Serve with vegetables of choice and rice, and enjoy!
- *frozen yuba sheets can be found in the frozen section of Asian supermarkets
- **if you do not have homemade teriyaki sauce on hand, combine 9 tbsp of soy sauce, 7 tbsp of mirin, 7 tbsp of sake and 4 tbsp of sugar. The only difference will be that it takes slightly longer for it to thicken because the sugar is not already dissolved.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 372
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 865mg
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 24.4g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan teriyaki chicken, teriyaki tofu, yuba chicken