This Vegan Sesame Tantanmen features the perfect ramen noodles swimming in a creamy sesame broth, served with spicy tofu crumbles and fresh vegetables. The perfect easy to make comfort meal!
- 3 tbsp asian sesame paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rayu (Japanese red chili oil)
- 1 cup soy milk (250ml)
- 1.5 cup kombu dashi broth or vegetable (300ml)
Spicy Fried Soy/Tofu Crumbles:
- 100 g soy meat or tofu
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sake (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tsp red chili oil
- 2 portions of ramen noodles
- 1/2 head of small cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup bean sprout
- 1/2 cup corn
- Additional garnishes: crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, sliced green onions, sliced garlic tops, soy sauce and rayu/red chili oil.
For the Spicy Fried Soy/Tofu Crumbles:
- If using soy meat, soak in hot water for 5 minutes. If using tofu, crumble tofu until they resemble minced meat.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat with some sesame oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic and ginger. Add in the soy/tofu crumbles and then add in the sake, soy sauce, miso paste and red chili oil. Fry until the crumbles get slightly crispy (around 3-5 minutes)
For the toppings:
- Prep the vegetables by slicing them and steaming them for around 3 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot to a boil and then cook the ramen according to instructions (around 5 minutes)
For the Soup Base:
- Combine all the ingredients except the soy milk and broth into a bowl until a paste forms.
- Heat the soy milk and vegetable stock over medium low heat, then reduce to low as soon as you start to see bubbles. Whisk in the paste made earlier until dissolved.
- Place cooked noodles into a bowl. Pour over half the broth. Add on the fried minced soy meat, vegetables, additional garnishes and chili oil.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Japanese