These Vegan Macarons will blow your mind! A classic french dessert made with aquafaba instead of egg whites. Perfectly smooth and crisp cookie shells filled with a creamy dairy free cashew buttercream.
- 70g almond flour
- 80 icing sugar
- 55g aquafaba (reduced from 125g of canned chickpea water)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 20 g caster sugar
- 1/16 tsp vegan gel paste, optional
Cashew Buttercream Filling
- To reduce chickpea water/aquafaba: add the aquafaba into a small saucepan over medium heat. Let it gently simmer for 15 minutes until you get 55g. It should look much thicker than when you first opened the can.
- Into a bowl, whisk together almond meal and icing sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add aquafaba and cream of tartar. Use a hand mixer and whisk on high until it starts to form foam/light peaks (3 minutes). Add in the castor sugar and continue to mix until peaks form. Add in a drop of gel if using and mix.
- Using a spatula, fold in the almond flour and sugar mix until combined. Using the back of the spatula, press the mixture on the side of the bowl as you fold it in. It should start to look shiny and have a ribbons like consistency when ready.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag with a round tip. On a parchment lined baking tray, pipe the filling into circles.
- Drop the baking tray onto your kitchen counter 4-5 times. If you see any additional air bubbles, use a toothpick to pop them out.
- Let the mixture dry for 1.5 hours pr until the top is dry to the touch.
- Preheat oven to 230 F (110 C) with fan on. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow them to cool in the oven (with door open) for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool at room temperature for another 15 minutes before removing them from the parchment paper.
Cashew Buttercream Filling:
- While waiting for the macaron shells to dry or cool make the cashew buttercream filling by adding all the ingredients into a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- Once macaron shells are cooled and ready, pipe one macaron shell with vegan cashew buttercream. Then place another macaron shell to sandwich together.
- You MUST weigh the macaron shell ingredients for this to work. This recipe is VERY temperamental and even a slight change will make or break these.
- Do not add any flavour to the macaron shells. If you want to flavour these macarons, add the flavouring into the filling. For example, add 1 tsp caramel extract to the cashew butter cream for caramel flavour.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Sweets
- Method: French Baking
- Cuisine: vegna, gluten free