A plant based twist on the classic Japanese Hamburger Steak served with a sweet and savory red wine reduction sauce with — tender, juicy and mega flavourful. This vegan hambagu steak easy and perfect for nights in!
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (150g)
- 11.4 oz Vegan ground beef (320g)
- 1/4 cup soft tofu (60g)
- 1 oz panko (28g // gluten free as needed)
- 1 tbsp potato starch (8g)
- 1 tbsp molasses (17g)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp red wine or water (30ml)
Hambagu Serving Sauce:
- Cook the onions over medium high heat until golden brown. Place the tofu in a bowl and microwave for 1 minute covered. Set on a lint-free kitchen towel to drain excess liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the vegan grounds, cooled onions, tofu, panko, potato starch, nutmeg, ground pepper and salt. Use your hands to knead the mixture until well combined.
- Portion out 4 burgers and toss between your hands to remove excess air pockets (this prevents them from breaking after being cooked). Shape them into ovals and then slightly flatten them about 3/4-1 inch thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan over high heat and grease with a little oil. Place the patties onto the pan and press the middle of the burgers slightly. Cook for 4 minutes, flip and then cook for another 3 minutes or until browned. Add the red wine (or water), cover and reduce the heat to low. Let the patties steam for about 4-6 minutes until cooked through. Remove the lid and increase heat to medium high. Once wine or water is evaporated, transfer the hambagu to serving plates along with your choice of sides (rice, vegetables… etc).
- Without washing the pan, add all the sauce ingredients over medium heat and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add sauce over the hamburger steaks. Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 hamburger steak
- Calories: 263
- Sugar: 3.1g
- Sodium: 863mg
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19.3g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: hamburger steaks, vegan hamburger, japanese hambagu, vegan beef grounds