Thick and chewy slurpable udon noodles swimming in a rich, flavourful curry sauce! This vegan Japanese Curry Udon is warming, comforting and so satisfying. Super easy to make in just 15 minutes!
- 1 small onion (150g)
- 4 oz container of button mushrooms (100g)
- 1/2 small carrot (40g)
- 2 aburaage pouches
- 2 serving of frozen udon noodles (500g)
- Option 1: ¼ cup vegan mentsuyu + 2 ¾ cup water
- Option 2: 3 cups vegan dashi broth + 1 tbsp soy sauce + 1 tbsp sake
- Option 1: 2 blocks of curry roux (or 3 blocks homemade)
- Option 2. 1 ½ tbsp Japanese curry powder + 1 tbsp corn or potato starch + 2 tbsps water + 2 tsp sugar
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place aburaage in a bowl of boiling water to remove excess oil. Squeeze the water out and then cut it lengthways into 1/2 inch strips.
- Over medium heat, fry the onions, mushrooms and carrots for 3 minutes. Fry aburaage and fry for another 1 minute.
- Add the soup base (choose one of the two options) and then once boiling, reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. In the meantime, cook udon noodles.
- Turn off the heat, add the curry roux and dissolve it into a ladle. If using curry slurry mixture to a ladle and melt it thorough over medium-low heat. Stir until slightly thickened. Serve udon noodles and top with the curry soup. Serve with green onions and togarashi.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: vegan curry udon, japanese curry udon, curry udon noodles