These Gluten Free Vegan Cornbread Waffles are crispy on the outside while still light and fluffy on the inside. Enjoy as a sweet or savory breakfast and freeze any leftovers for meal prep!
- Make the flax egg by mixing together 1 tbsp round flax seeds and 3 tbsp of water.
- Prep the butter milk by mixing the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let these sit for 5 minutes.
- Sift the gluten free flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Then add in the corn meal and mix to combine. Sifting helps prevent unwanted clumps from forming. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Then add in the ‘butter milk’, yogurt and flax egg. Mix everything together with a spatulate to ensure the dry ingredients stuck on the side of the bowl also get incorporated. Pre-heat the waffle iron on high and let the batter sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Pour the waffle batter into the iron and let them cook on medium high for 5-7 minutes- or until crispy on the outside. Depending on the size of your waffle iron, use 3/4-1 cup of batter per waffle.
- TIP: If serving them all at once, preheat your oven to 200F and place the waffles in there to keep warm.
- If making for meal prep, double or triple the recipe. This will yield 7-12 waffles total.
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: North American
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 949mg
- Fat: 4.46g
- Saturated Fat: 0.17g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 65.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 10.97g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan cornmeal waffles, gluten free cornbread waffles