- 2 blocks traditional tofu
- 2 tsp vegan ‘chicken’ broth bouillon powder
- 1 cup cake or all purpose flour (120g)
- 1 cup water (250ml)
- 1 cup potato starch (120g) + 6-7 tbsp water
- 1 cup flour (120g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Cheese Flavour Seasoning
- 1/3 + 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning, optonal
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp smoked salt, optional or replace with more salt
- Remove tofu out of the container, rinse and press excess water out. Place back into the container, cover and freeze overnight. The next day, thaw the tofu in the refrigerator. Press the tofu again and then freeze overnight.
- Remove tofu out of the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can wrap it with a damp paper towel for 2-1/2 minutes or until warmed through. Slice the tofu down lengthwise to create 4 flat square/rectangular pieces. Optional, but you can rip off the corners to make them look rounder and more patty/cutlet like.
- Whisk together the chicken broth bouillon with 2 cups of water. Pour it into a casserole-type dish or shallow container and then place the pieces of tofu in it.
- Make the dredge by mixing the flour and water together until smooth.
- Add the potato starch to a cooking tray and then add the water. Make little pebbles by crushing the potato starch between your fingers. Then add the flour, baking powder, bakng soda, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Mix until well corporate.
- Remove a slab of tofu from the broth and shake off excess water. Dip it into the dredge and then cover it with the coating mixture. Dip it into the dredge again and then add then place it into the coating again.
- Place the breaded patty into a fryer (350 F) and fry each side until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes on each side). Remove from fryer and then place on a wire rack to allow any excess oil to drip off. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Add all the seasoning ingredients to a jar and mix.
- Place a piece of ‘chick-un’ into a paper bag and add desired amount of the cheese seasoning. Shake the bag and enjoy!!
- Helpful Equipment:
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).