Learn how to make vegan fish fillets with tofu, seaweed and rice paper! With perfectly crispy skin and a flake-y soft fish like texture this is the perfect plant based fish alternative for any dish!
- 1 16 oz pack of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 cup kombu dashi broth*
- 1/4 tsp ajinomoto, optional or substitute mushroom stock powder
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (5ml)
- 1 tsp sugar (5g)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2g)
- 2 roasted nori sheets (seaweed)
- 1 piece of rice paper
- 1 1/2 tbsp potato starch (10g), plus more for dusting
Soy Butter Sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (15g)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (30ml)
- Prepare tofu: Remove tofu from the package and then press to remove excess moisture out. Slice the tofu into desired shapes and pieces. To get a fish-like shape, slice the block 3/4 length wise and then using the tip of the knife, carve out a fillet shape. Keep the other 1/4 for extra. If making a fish shape, you’ll have a total of two pieces. Then slice through the entire block once you have achieved your desired shape. If you do not care for the fish-like shape, slice into 4 rectangles. Slice the tofu diagonally 1/3 way through 1/8-1/4 inch apart. Flip and slice diagonally in the SAME direction. Add salt to both sides of the fish and set aside.
- Make the marinade: Add the kombu dashi broth, msg, rice vinegar and sugar to a shallow container and mix. Add the pieces tofu fillets and then tear one sheet or nori on top. Cover and marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Make the crispy skin: Remove the tofu from the container and pat dry. Sprinkle salt over both sides of the tofu fillet. Cut a piece of nori that fits on top of the tofu fillets. Cut the same size piece of rice paper. Place the nori on top of the tofu. Mix potato starch with 3 tbsp of water. Briefly dip the piece of rice paper and place on top of the nori and press down to ensure it sticks.
- Cook: Heat a pan with oil over medium high heat. Place the tofu fillet rice paper side down. Use a spatula and press gently down a few times and cook for 1 minute or until golden brown and crispy. Dust a little bit of potato starch on the side facing up and then flip. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until brown and crispy. Pan fry the other two sides (you can dust more potato starch on the other sides if you prefer). Remove from pan.
- Serve: If adding sauce, be sure to add it on the plate (or on the side for dipping) and then the tofu fish on top to keep the ‘skin’ crispy. Serve and enjoy!
Soy Butter Sauce
- Heat vegan butter over low heat. Add the soy sauce and mix to combine. Remove from heat and serve.
- *Or use 1 packet of kombu dashi granules mixed with 1 cup of water
- Helpful Equipment: tofu press, scissors
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: entree
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: vegan fish, tofu fish, fish fillet