The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Learn how to make the BEST tried & true Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies that are thick and chewy in the middle with perfectly crispy edges.
- Author: Lisa Kitahara
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Yield: 16 cookies 1x
- Category: Sweets
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cane sugar, brown sugar, melted coconut oil, aquafaba/coconut milk and vanilla until combined.
- Sift in the all purpose flour and baking soda and add in the salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet using a folding motion with a large spatula. This helps with not over mixing. Mix until the batter looks almost fully uniform.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. until evenly dispersed throughout the batter. This also finished off mixing the batter.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or wrap and place into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C)*
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion out the dough into equal sized balls (around 50g each) and roll into a tall ball (refer to photos).
- Place the cookie dough on a lined baking tray leaving 2 inches between each cookie and bake for 10-13 minutes, or until there are golden brown spots. To achieve crinkled edges, tap the pan on the oven rack a few times before taking them out of the oven.
- Let them cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes. Then transfer onto a wire rack to let them cool completely before eating.
- *Cane sugar can be substituted with coconut sugar or maple sugar however the texture will not be as crisp around the edges.
- **Brown sugar can be substituted with coconut sugar or maple sugar + 1/2 tbsp molasses.
- **I started using vegan butter instead of coconut oil which I have found to yield a better crispy to chewy ratio with the perfect amount of spread. If you do not have vegan butter, you can still use coconut oil or a blend of coconut oil and vegan margarine. Be sure to use aquafaba/coconut milk that is warm or at least room temperature so that the coconut oil does not solidify.
- ****I use a combination of coconut milk and aquafaba for the perfect chewy moist texture. You can use all coconut milk for ultra moist cookies or all aquafaba for chewy cookies.
- Nutrition information disclaimer: is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer)
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip cookies