Japanese Curry for One
Japanese Curry for one! This simple small batch curry recipe is easy, budget-friendly and comes together in 15 minutes.
- Author: Lisa Kitahara
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1-2 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 block curry cube, roughly chopped
- 150 - 180 ml water
- vegetables of choice
- protein of choice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cayenne, to taste (optional)
- rice, for serving
- fukushinzuke, for serving
Example add-in amount:
- 1 (5 g) tsp butter or oil
- 1/4 (65 g) onion, sliced
- 1 oz mushroom, quartered
- 1 oz carrot, chopped small
- 1 small (60 g) potato, diced into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 (20 g) cup soy curls, rehydrated(or 50 g of thinly sliced beef, pork or chicken)
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple sauce or 1/8 (30 g) of a small apple, grated
- 1 tsp Bull Dog Worcester or Fruit and Vegetable sauce
Stove top method
- Over medium high heat, add oil or butter and cook onion for a few minutes until lightly caramelized (this takes about 3 minutes).
- Add mushroom, carrots and potato and grated apples, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add soy curls, salt, pepper and cayenne. If using another protein, cook until no longer pink. '
- Add water and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Dissolve roux and mix in the Worcester sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice and fukushinzuke. Enjoy!!
- Add the butter, onion, potato, carrots, mushroom and soy curls (or protein of choice) to a bowl. Add the water, apple sauce, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Microwave for 5 minutes on medium (600 W) uncovered. If using poultry, skim the skum off. Add the curry cube, and mix.
- Microwave for another 4 minutes. Mix in the Worcester sauce.
- Serve with rice and fukushinzuke, and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
Keywords: Japanese curry, small batch