Pomelo Lemongrass Coconut Cake with Maple Ginger Syrup & Pomelo glaze! This soft and moist cake celebrates pomelos wonderful flavours 🧡
For the cake:
- 70 ml coconut oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 180 ml light coconut milk (net amount 160 ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pomelo zest
- 187 g flour
- 110 g sugar
- 45–55 g finely shredded coconut
- 80 ml pomelo juice
For the ginger maple syrup:
- 15 ml ginger juice
- 20 ml maple syrup
For the pomelo glaze:
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 15–30 ml pomelo juice
- The night before, cut the lemon stalk into three segments (removing the bottom base) and smash it with the back of your knife until it splits open.
- Add the coconut milk to a saucepan over medium heat along with the lemon grass. Once it comes to a simmer, turn off the heat and let it cool. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate overnight for best infusion.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a 1 lb loaf pan.
- Add 1/4 of a pomelo to a blender and blend on high. Strain with a sieve and then measure out 80 ml.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl, and then add in the coconut flakes. Whisk to combine.
- Measure out 160 ml of the infused coconut milk and discard the lemongrass. In another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
- Transfer to a 1 lb lined loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and springy to the touch. In the meantime, mix together the ginger juice and maple syrup.
- Remove from the loaf pan as soon as it comes out onto a wire rack. While still warm (wait about 15 minutes) prick holes with a toothpick on top. Then brush the syrup over the loaf.
- Make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and leftover pomelo juice, until thick but still drizzle-able.
- Once the loaf has cooled completely, drizzle the glaze on top and let it set for about 20 minutes before slicing in. Enjoy!!