- 1 lbs package of firm or extra firm tofu (454g)
- 200-250g organic white or red miso paste
- 2 tbsp sake (30ml)
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar (28g)
- dried herbs
- dried spices
- zests of citrus fruits
- yuzu salt
- chili flakes
- Mix the miso paste, sake, sugar and optional flavourings in a bowl until well combined.
- Remove the tofu from the package. Gently press out any excess liquid and pat it dry. Cut the tofu into two blocks. Wrap one layer of cheesecloth over each piece of tofu. Spread a generous layer of miso paste on top of the cheesecloth. Be sure every part is covered so that no cheesecloth or tofu is exposed. Place in an air tight container and store in the fridge for 7 - 100 days (read blog post for fermentation times). **
- Every week, check the misozuke. If you see any liquid accumulating, carefully pour it out. Ensure that the block of tofu is still fully covered with miso and that the container is fry. If you accidentally scrape off some miso, cover it with more miso.
- After the fermentation period is over, unwrap the tofu and remove any remaining miso paste.
- Serve as desired and enjoy! To store, wrap with vegan wax paper and keep in an air tight container for up to 1 week.
- ** If you are diligent with monitoring your misozuke, there shouldn't be a problem with mold growing. You can also layer paper towel into the container first for easier removal of the accumulated liquid (I just didn't find it necessary as long as you drain it every couple of days and I don't want to waste paper towels).
- Helpful Equipment: cheesecloth, air tight container, offset spatula, spatula, mixing bowls, whisk
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: fermenting
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 33
- Sugar: 0.8
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 1.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 1.4
- Fiber: 0.3
- Protein: 3.6
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan tofu cheese, vegan fermented cheese, misozuke, miso tofu cheese, tofu cheese, nut free cheese, vegan cheese