Miso Honey Butter Toast is a fusion of Japanese and Western flavours, combining the soft and sweet milk bread with the rich umami taste of miso, the creaminess of butter and sweetness of honey.
- 2 thick slices of milk bread (shokupan) or your favourite soft bread
- 1/2 (57 g) stick of butter, softened
- 1/4 (55 g) cup light brown sugar
- 1 heaping (28 g) tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 - 2 (27 - 36 g) tbsp white sweet miso paste
- In a bowl, mix the butter and light brown sugar together. In another bowl, whisk together the honey and miso paste. The honey helps loosen the miso, making it easier to mix. However, you can just mix everything in a bowl (for less clean up, but it does take a bit more work to evenly mix it together).
- Spread a generous amount of the miso honey butter on all sides of the bread.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, flipping half way through. It’s done when it’s toasty and caramelized.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
- The amount of miso honey butter yields more than you will need for 2 servings. Keep refrigerated for up to a month.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Western-Japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: miso, honey butter toast, milk bread