Quick and easy Japanese Smashed Cucumber Salad (Tataki Kyuri) is a light and refreshing side dish, perfect for summer! Smashing the cucumbers helps the dressing get into those cracks and adds flavour to the cucumbers much more effectively.
- 4 Persian Cucumbers or 2 Japanese Cucumbers (250g)
- 2 tsp tamari (10g // or soy sauce if not gluten free)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (10g)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (7g)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (5g)
- 1 fresh garlic, mined (4g)
- 1 small knob of ginger, grated (8g)
- ½ tsp kombu dashi granules (2.5g)
- 2–3 shakes of togarashi
- 2 tbsp scallions, sliced (10g)
- Into a mixing bowl, add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, dashi and togarashi and stir until combined.
- Wash cucumber and dry. Chop ends off. Crush the cucumbers using the back of the knife or rolling pin. The cucumbers should slice into 4 strips. Slice cucumbers into bite sized pieces.
- Add cucumbers to the bowl with the sauce, toss until all the cucumbers are coated and then garnish with scallions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Category: side dish
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 2.6
- Sodium: 442mg
- Fat: 5.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6.7
- Fiber: 1.7
- Protein: 1.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: smashed cucumber salad, japanese cucumber salad