Flaky, buttery healthy pie crust made with almond flour, tapioca starch, white rice flour and potatoes! This vegan pie crust is incredibly easy to make and perfect for both sweet and savory pies. (Gluten Free + Oil Free)
- 1 2/3 cup fine almond flour (186g)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (42g)
- ¼ cup white rice four (40g)
- 1 tbsp cane or coconut sugar (15g // omit for savory pies)
- ¼ tsp salt (1/2 tsp for savory pies)
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp mashed white or russet potatoes (120g // about 1 large potato steamed and mashed)
- 4–5 tbsp water (60-75g)
- Add the almond flour, tapioca starch, white rice flour, salt and sugar (if using) to a bowl and whisk together. Add in the mashed potatoes and lesser amount of water and stir. Then use your hands to mix the dough using a mushing motion. Add water 1 tbsp at a time as needed. The amount will depend on the moisture content of your potatoes. The texture of the dough shouldn’t be too sticky nor dry, just enough for it to stick together and form a ball.
- Place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll it out into a 12-13 inch circle with a rolling pin.
- Peel the top parchment paper off the dough. Carefully lift the dough with the parchment paper and flip it onto a 9-inch pie dish. Carefully peel off the parchment paper.
- Using your fingers, gently push the crust into the corners of the dish. Try not to let the dough stretch or it can tear the dough.
- Clean up the rim by using a knife and trimming off any excess dough that might be hanging off the dish.
- Use the scraps and fix any tears in the pie. Crimp or make a design around the pie crust as desired. Use a fork to prick holes on the base of the crust before baking.
No Bake Filling Pies:
- For a no-bake filling, bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Pour the filling in the crust once its fully cooled.
- Pre-bake at 350 F for 5-10 minutes. 5 minutes for pies that take an hour to bake and 5 minutes for pies that take less than 40 minutes to bake. Add filling and bake as recipe calls for.
- Category: basics
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten free, north american
- Serving Size: 1 whole pie crust
- Calories: 1477
- Sugar: 21.6g
- Sodium: 619mg
- Fat: 94.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 82.8g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 133.5g
- Fiber: 23.3g
- Protein: 42.6g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: healthy pie crust, almond flour pie crust, vegan gluten free pie crust