This Cheesy Roasted Asparagus Soup is incredibly cheesy, creamy and flavourful without the use of any dairy products. The perfect easy & healthy bowl of soup using in season spring ingredients.
- 1 head of garlic
- 1.5 pounds of asparagus total (reserve 8 spears tops for garnish)
- 1 small yellow onion (100g)
- 1 small yukon gold potato (223-250g)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked (100g)
- 1/3 nutritional yeast (20g)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- Slice the top of the head of garlic, enough to expose some cloves. Wrap with foil and place in air fryer for 15 minutes at 400°F. If using oven, do the same thing but leave it in the oven for a total of 25 minutes (until caramelized at the top).
- Cut off the hard bottoms of asparagus and then into 1 inch pieces. Place in the air fryer (with the garlic) for a total of 15 minutes (shaking the basket at 7 minutes). If roasting in the oven, do the same thing rotating the tray half way.
- In the meantime, in a large pot over medium heat, fry the onions and garlic. Cook until soft and fragrant (3-5 minutes). Add the soaked cashews, potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and bring the heat down to a low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- By now, the garlic and asparagus should be roasted. Transfer half the head of garlic into the blender along with the asparagus (reserving around 8 asparagus tops for serving). Add the contents in the large pot into the blender. Add in lemon juice, miso paste, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. If you have a smaller blender, you may need to do this in batches. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust with more garlic, salt and pepper. Serve in a bowl and garnish with cream, asparagus tops and cheese granola.
- This soup keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- This soup can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost the soup in the fridge the night before and be heated on a stove top over medium heat.
Keywords: vegan sticky lemon tofu recipe