Learn how to make brown butter caramelized kimchi! Spicy, tangy, subtly sweet, with deep nutty notes. Serve with sandwiches, bagels, toast, pasta, dips, soups and more!
- 1 1/2 cup kimchi (250g)
- 2 tbsp (30 g) butter (I used Miyoko’s butter)
- 2–3 tbsp (24 – 36 g) dark brown or maple sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) mirin
- 1 – 2 tsp (5 – 10 ml) sesame oil
- 1 – 2 tsp (5 – 10 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) gochujang
- Over medium heat add the butter and let it melt. Continue to swirl until it smells toasty and nutty, and colour is lightly browned (2-3 minutes).
- Once browned, reduce heat to low and add the kimchi and sugar (plus other optionals if adding), and cook until caramelized and jammy. Turn off head, remove from stove and place in another bowl.
- Use immediently or store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes