Creamy, cheesy Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese with roasted sesame garlic! The perfect comfort food to cozy up to for a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 small butternut squash or 1 scant cup (210g) mashed butternut squash
- 1 (100g) small onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup (48g) raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (20g) miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup non dairy milk or pasta cooking water
- 1/2 (70g) cup vegan shredded cheese
- 8 ounces (224g) macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F). Cut the butternut squash to separate the bulb and elongated portion. Then slice both pieces lengthwise. Remove seeds from the bulb portion of the squash. Place on a baking tray, flesh side up.
- Slice onion in half and then into quarters. Place on baking tray. Drizzle olive oil on the butternut squash and onion and rub it into coat entirely.
- Slice the top of the garlic bulb to expose the tops. Place on a piece of foil and drizzle with sesame oil. Wrap the garlic bulb and then place on baking tray. Bake the squash, onion and garlic for 40-45 minutes or until squash is soft and fully cooked.
- In the meantime, cook macaroni noodles according to package instructions.
- When the squash and onion is soft and garlic is roasted, remove from oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash. Measure a heaping 3/4 cup (210g) of the squash and add to a blender. Add the onion, garlic, cashews, lemon juice, miso paste, dijon mustard, nutmeg, salt, pepper and non-dairy milk (or pasta water). Blend until smooth and creamy. If too thick, add 1-2 tbsp extra liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Pour the cheese sauce into a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cheese and mix until melted through. Add the macaroni and mix to combine.
- Add panko and vegan butter to a bowl and mix with your fingers. Divide the mac and cheese into desired casserole dishes and then top with the panko mixture. Bake in a toaster oven at 180 C (350 F) for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!