This Vegan Coffee Jelly Dessert features cubes of coffee flavoured jelly doused in sweetened milk. A simple & light delicious dessert to cool off during the summer weather! Dairy free & Gluten free.
- 2 cups water (500ml)
- 1 tbsp high quality instant coffee granules
- 2 tsp Japanese agar* (8g)
- 3 tsp sugar (15g)
- 1/2 cup coconut evaporated milk (125g)*
- 3 tbsp coconut condensed milk (45g)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Turn down the heat to a simmer and add in the agar, coffee granules and sugar. Use a whisk to stir every few seconds, for around 2-3 minutes or until the coffee and sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove from the heat and transfer into a shallow dish. Allow it to cool for 5-8 minutes or until room temperature. You can speed the process by placing the shallow dish over ice packs. Place into the fridge and allow to chill until firm.
- Make the sweet milk by combining the evaporated coconut milk with the condensed milk with a whisk and place in the fridge to chill.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the coffee jelly into cubes inside the dish. Scoop coffee cubes into cups and pour over the sweet milk. Optional: for the gradient effect of the coffee colour on top, slow add in 1 shot of chilled espresso. Enjoy!
- You can find Japanese agar powder at most asian grocery stores. Alternatively, you can also use kanten powder or regular agar. Please note, using regular agar results in a slightly different texture (more firm)
- Feel free to use any plant based milk! I’ve made this with soy milk and cashew milk.