Learn how to make Japanese style or 'Kewpie' mayonnaise with this fool proof step by step recipe! This vegan kewpie mayo is rich and creamy with the perfect balance of sweet and tangy. The umami flavour is what makes this mayonnaise so delicious and popular! (Egg free & allergy friendly).
- 3 tbsp reduced aquafaba (45ml)
- 4 tsp rice vinegar (20ml)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (10ml)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard (10g)
- 12 chickpeas, skinned (12g)
- 1 tsp salt (5g)
- 1 cup neutral oil (240ml)
- 2 tsp sugar (8g)
- 1/4 tsp shiitake or kombu dashi granules (1.5g)
- 1/8 tsp ajinomoto (1g), optional
- 1/4 tsp black salt (1g), optional
- Reduce aquafaba: This will give it a thicker consistency (like eggs). Add the aquafaba to a pot over medium high heat. Once it begins to bubble, reduce to medium low and simmer until thickened and reduced (about 5 minutes). Cool the aquafaba and then refrigerate. At this time, ensure other ingredients are also chilled (especially the oil).
- Blend first portion of ingredients: Add the aquafaba, rice vinegar, lemon juice, chickpeas, mustard and salt to a narrow jar. Stick the immersion blender to the bottom and blend until smooth.
- Add the oil: Once smooth, using the lowest blending speed pour the oil down along the immersion blender at a SLOW and steady speed. It should thicken quite quickly. Once you see it stop blending and the oil begins to build at the top, slowly move the immersion blender up and down to incorporate the remaining oil at the top.
- Season: Now add the remaining ingredients and blend everything together. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Helpful Equipment: immersion blender, squeeze bottle, air tight container
- Nutritional Information Disclaimer: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated on an online tool (Cronometer).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: sauces
- Method: blending
- Cuisine: vegan, japanese
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp (14g)
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 0.07g
- Sodium: 86mg
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.1
- Trans Fat: 0.03
- Carbohydrates: 0.62g
- Fiber: 0.04g
- Protein: 0.08g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan mayonnaise, kewpie mayo, Japanese mayo, eggless mayonnaise